Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hacking the library: Impromptu Marketing

Everyday there are opportunities to market the library just waiting to be used. Today we had a staff member have the misfortune of her car catching fire in the library parking lot. We called the fire department and they quickly came and extinguished the blaze. I must compliment our local fire and police departments. They come whatever the reason, as quickly as they can, and have always been helpful.

While the fire department was rolling up the hose and doing paper work I had an epiphany. A fire truck is a great marketing tool. I sent a staff member to get the digital camera. I grabbed the Bill Engval Christmas CD, a Danielle Steele movie, and "Gone with the Wind". I had Christmas, steamy romance, and fire represented in my choice of materials to compliment the fire truck. I offered the firemen and the firewoman the opportunity to hold the materials in front of the fire truck, but they declined. As a compromise they let me borrow a fire hat. So with my borrowed hat I squatted in front of the truck holding the materials and had a picture taken.



We then posted it on our website with the caption "Smokin' Hot Music and Videos at the Library". Opportunities like this make my job more fun than work.

No comments: