Friday, December 14, 2007

Some random thoughts:

1) We are currently winning in Music. In fact we have a 10% lead over the Music branch. Cool beans!

2) I visited a library that is 100% self check-out. I'm currently pondering this as a possibility for our service. This is a good read, on how to accomplish such a feat:

http://www.geekinthestacks.com/2007/12/keys-to-successful-self-check-out.html

I'll write on it after I've thunk on it.

3) Visited a Koha library and the fine folks at LibLime. I like lots of what I see. I'm a little worried about circulation speed, but I'm hopeful version 3 of Koha will rectify my concerns. Props to Owen at the Athens Public Library (Ohio) and Ryan at LibLime for accommodating me on short notice.

4) One thing pretty cool about the Athens Public Library is they have most of their shelving built locally by a carpenter. At first I thought that was insane having custom shelving built. Then I started thinking about it and realized that shelving is expensive, especially metal shelving. Custom built shelves might not be a bad idea. Anyone who has spent a few months waiting on shelving to be manufactured, delivered, and installed might agree. This is another issue for me to thunk on.

5) I've been pondering the future of public computing. I've written a blog post on it twice now just to reject it before hitting the publish button. My New Years resolution is to post my thoughts early in January.

6) My second New Years resolution is to beat some posts out of my contributors. Yeah J Pickle, JetskiDude911, zx81basic, and Cat the Great I'm calling you out.

7) If you need to fly try www.skybus.com. This is a great low cost airline. Highly recommended for minimal crap, and great pricing.

8) The firemen made me an honorary fire chief. Being as how my great grandfather was a fire chief I'm kinda honored to follow in his footsteps.

No comments: